Reading through the book, I came across her recipe for "Greek Lemon Drop Chicken Soup". With children that are increasingly looking to get involved in the kitchen, and knowing that my blog was way overdue for an avgolemono recipe, I decided to give it a try.
Not only did the boys and I have a great time cooking together, we all agreed that Tiffany's recipe is a keeper!
Ingredients (Serves 4 for a meal or 8 as a starter)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs*
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta or rice**
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
** Avgolemono is traditionally made with rice. This recipe calls for orzo. Either one is delicious.
Time - 45 minutes
Preparation - 10 minutes
Cooking - 35 minutes
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat
- Once the pot is hot, add the chicken and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side (skip this step if using leftover chicken)
- Once the chicken thighs are cooked through, add the chicken stock to the pot, and continue to cook until the mixture comes to a bubble. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking in the broth, chop the chives and set aside
- Measure out the orzo pasta or rice
- Add it into the soup and cook for another 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, crack the egg into a measuring cup
- Wash and cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the same cup
- Use a fork to whisk the egg and lemon juice until smooth, light yellow, and slightly frothy
- Pour the lemon-egg mixture into a large mixing bowl
- While vigorously whisking the mixture, slowly ladle 1 cup of the hot soup broth into the mixing bowl. This will temper the egg and prevent it from scrambling in the soup
- Pour the eggy broth back into the big soup pot and stir
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken to a large plate
- With a fork and knife, break the chicken into bite-size pieces
- Return the chicken back to the pot and stir
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the hot soup with a sprinkle of chives over the top and enjoy!